03 April, 2022

Challenging myself to learn something new

I have recently set a big challenge for myself. I want to know about Machine Learning. To add to the challenge, I am trying out using the Zettelkasten method. The tool that I am using is Obsidian.

What is Zettelkasten?

It is a system for note-taking and personal knowledge management. From my reading, it looks like students and authors could use this method to help them organize their thoughts, make connections between thoughts, and turn those thoughts into written communication like term papers, doctoral thesis, books, or blog posts.

The heart of the system is to make a note that is focused on one topic, self-contained (no other explanation needed), permanent, concise, and linked to another note or notes.

Why am I look at Zettelkasten?

My current job requires me to read about various technologies and think about how to apply that technology to a business problem. I am hoping that Zettelkasten method can help me manage what I already know, acquire new knowledge, and make connections between the knowledge.

At work, the team and I make use of a shared Microsoft OneNote. Over the last 3 years, this notebook has grown rather large. It can be hard to find information using just a search. I have read that there are people who have figured out how to use Zettelkasten with OneNote. I need to learn a bit more about the method before I can teach it to someone else.

Why use Obsidian?

I picked Obsidian because it is cross-platform, free, looks simple to use, and looks a bit like Visual Studio Code. In learning about the tool there additional benefits became apparent. Obsidian makes use of Markdown. If I wanted I could switch to using a different tool to create and edit the markdown files. Backing up a markdown file is easy. The community has created a large number of plugins to help customize Obsidian and add functionality.

Why Machine Learning?

Mostly because I like to learn. This is an area that I know very little about. It seems to me that one aspect of machine learning known as Deep Learning could help me learn more.

There is an article from Stanford entitled "Deep learning algorithm does as well as dermatologists in identifying skin cancer" that shows the potential good deep learning has to offer.

References

  1. Machine Learning
  2. Zettelkasten
  3. Obsidian
  4. Microsoft OneNote
  5. Markdown
  6. Deep Learning
  7. Deep learning algorithm does as well as dermatologists in identifying skin cancer

No comments:

Challenging myself to learn something new

I have recently set a big challenge for myself. I want to know about Machine Learning . To add to the challenge, I am trying out usin...